Derby House HQ would like to introduce another new blogger, amateur dressage rider and self-confessed horse kit junkie Debbie Summerfield. Debbie has ridden to PSG level and has a line-up of successful pupils. She’s passionate about equestrian kit and gadgets so we asked her to divulge her winter essentials.
1. My Musto Suffolk long riding coat. Total protection from cold, wind and rain. With its generous skirt it keeps my legs and the saddle completely dry when riding. I wear it with a fleecy headband to keep my ears warm when I’m teaching in all weathers.
2. My Laube mini clippers. So quiet that even the most sensitive horse usually accepts them. Great for heads, elbows and all those tricky areas. Powerful enough to clip a whole horse if necessary. They are 20 years old and still going strong!
3. My Equilibrium massage pad. Excellent value and great for warming up cold back muscles before riding and soothing to relax the muscles after work. Great for human backs too if you lean against it in a chair or in the car seat driving home from a show.
4. Hot Horse Shower. So much nicer for horse and groom to wash down with warm water in the winter! Runs off butane so you don’t even need an electric supply.
5. A medium weight stable rug and liners of different thickness – all set for whatever the temperature.
6. A couple of value lightweight NZ rugs to use as top rugs. One for over the stable rug – thus keeping it stain free. One for over NZ’s. Saves having to wash bulky winter rugs so often. Easy to wash in a standard washing machine and will dry overnight. Plus just take the top rug off and horse is looking clean and smart in his main rug.
7. A Mark Todd Autumner 150g NZ with separate neck cover for wet days. Can always use a liner if chilly or the l/w on top.
8. A Mark Heavyweight Combi NZ for the thick of winter. I love the design feature that the neck has a gusset where it attaches to the rug so that it stays right up to the ears when the horse has his head down eating. The nylon linings to the MT rugs keep the coat shiny and is really warm to the horses skin. Its lovely to warm frozen hands under the rug over the rump!
9. The MT fleece quarter sheet, cosy for hacking and for warming up and cooling down in the school. I also wouldn’t be without my fluorescent quarter sheet which I put over the top when hacking in the Winter. Drivers can see the Yellow Peril at a distance!
10. My gorgeous, thick and warm MT Deluxe fleece rug. Great for drying off after washing, for travelling or as an under rug.